Monday, April 16, 2012
I have made a few lunch bags for Logan, but I never attempted one for me. Since I just started a new job, I thought it would be fitting to bring a new lunch bag along with me.
I used this tutorial by Ayumills from Pink Penguin, but I added some patchwork. This lunch bag is really unique and I love the drawstring cover that helps keep everything inside . . . especially if I fall.
At first I thought the bag might be too small to fit all my food, but thankfully I was wrong. As long as my tupperware stays properly portioned for one, everything fits.
This project took me all day. I'm talking at least 6 to 7 hours. This project could certainly be made in less time, but I spent a lot of time ripping seams and getting everything just right. If I was going to spend the time making something for me that would give me happy giggles at work, I was going to do it right.
I used linen for most of the outside and quilting cotton for the patchwork, straps, and cover. The only thing I did differently than the tutorial was to double the length of the cover so that it could be folded in half and show the right side of the fabric from both the outside and inside.
For the interior lining, I used two red placemats that I found on clearance at Target. I wanted the interior to wipe clean of any spills on the inside.
I just love this little bag. It's pretty and sturdy and really fun to cart around.
Friday, April 13, 2012
I found another use for the wool I bought at the Salvation Army fabric sale a year ago. This wool purse was made using a the Folklore Bag pattern from One-Yard Wonders. I used knife pleats instead of a large box pleat (more of an oversight than a calculated decision), but I don't think it made that much of a difference. The use of black is always a good choice for moms, especially moms of boys, because dirt can hide and stay hidden.
I only had 2/3 of a yard of fabric, so I used some quilting cotton for the inside of the purse. This is always a fun decision anyway. I used some Hometown by Sweetwater to make a large pocket on one side and two small elastic top pockets on the other side, perfect for holding two Playtex sippy cups.
This purse is the perfect size to carry a small amount of stuff and still be able to find everything.
Monday, April 9, 2012
This time last year I bought a ton of fabric an annual Salvation Army fabric sale. I came home with over 20 yards of fabric for about $60. Certainly a steal, but it was all wool and polyester blend fabrics that work much better for clothes than for quilting.
So once I heard it was that time of year again, I thought it was high time I actually break into that year-old stash. I needed a new skirt for work so I decided to a use this woolen; I'm still not sure if the color is more navy or black, but it's definitely gray. For those of you for fashion inclined than I, I want you to know that I aware that I am one season too late with this garment. That's really no surprise.
For the most part, I used Simplicity pattern #2698 view I except that I ended up only using 2 pleats on both the front and back instead of 3 after trying it on. I used knife pleats as the pattern called for, but I stitched them down 5 inches from the top of the waistband. This took the skirt in a little more but allowed the skirt to flow better on the bottom half. The real reason I used the pattern was so I could work out the pockets. I just love the practically of pockets in a skirt.
I also nixed the fitted waistband and added a 3 inch wide elastic waistband in its place. This was the plan all along. See, I have this baby bump to work around and the whole point of making a new skirt was to make one that would grow along with me and (hopefully) fit me after October, too. Beware the addition of elastic, though, especially with thicker fabric. I have a small bunch in the front part that sticks out a little but wearing a longer shirt takes care of the bulge.