Sunday, February 20, 2011

two new boys' shirts


It's still cold here, so I've been making the boys a few new long sleeve t-shirts.  I know it's getting late in the season for long sleeves, but I want to experiment with my patterns, improve my techinque, and see what kind of designs I can come up with.  It's really hard to find cute boy stuff out there.

I made this one for my 4-year-old out of t-shirt scraps from the t-shirt quilt (top).  I decided to try a raglan sleeve.  I totally love raglan sleeves, particularly for boys.  It's a great way to add interest (assuming at least two colors are used) without too much effort.


I didn't have enough solid red to make both sleeves, so I decided to incorporate the front lettering on the t-shirt into one of the sleeves.  This sleeve advocates supporting our troops.  It's a little different and, at first, I didn't like it.  But every time I see it, I like it more and more.  It's definitely unique which is always the goal.

I made this shirt for my 2-year-old out of a $10 very lightweight knit from Express.  After I brought it home, I realized why it was only $10.  The sleeve seams were crooked and the stitching came loose after the first wash (ah, the things you notice once you learn how to sew).  But I cut it down to a 2T size and it serves it's purpose.  I added some new white ribbing around the neck, and I really like the contrast.  I wonder how long it will stay white, though.


The USA patch came from a 12-month t-shirt that both boys have outgrown.  I have kept several of my favorites to reuse in the future.

Speaking of working on techniques, I added something a little more professional in this one.  I took a leftover strip from the hem and covered the back of the inside neck seam and shoulder seams (can you even tell?).  Most professionally sewn t-shirts have this. It really didn't take that much extra effort.  I also top stitched the arm and neck seams for a more professional look (and to tack down the inside seam for extra comfort).




Unfortunately, these details go unnoticed by most people.  I might not be able to crank out as many projects when I concentrate so hard on the little extras, but it makes me feel good to know that I really put a lot of energy into one project and did it well.

Watch out.  There will probably be more of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment