When my oldest son saw the Petal Patch quilt I made for myself, with all it's bright (pink) colors, he tried to claim it for himself. In fact, both of my boys tried to claim that quilt as their own. But with as much as I give up to make my boys happy, that quilt was non-negotiable . . . it's all mine.
So to ease the pain, I promised to make Logan a new quilt just his size. He told me that his new one had to be exactly the same as mine. Since I knew dad wouldn't go for that, I decided on something very different. I had a highly coveted Reunion by Sweetwater charm pack from my last run to the quilt shop that I decided to give up for his new quilt. I knew I wanted a whirlygig or pinwheel type of quilt, so I just started cutting.
It wasn't until after I had cut all my charm squares that I did some research on these types of quilts. I had no idea that many tutorials teach to sew the squares together in a grid and then re-cut to make the whirlygigs. Since I had already cut my pieces, I stuck with my own idea of how to make the squares. The usual way (if there is such a thing when it comes to custom quilts) may have been faster, but my way ended up working out just fine.
I decided to mix in a rainbow of solid colors as the offset to the Reunion whirlygigs. I think the solids actually ended up taking over. I even added another "rainbow" as a border to give the quilt even more color. It's certainly a fun and colorful quilt and just right for a 6 year old boy.
Since this quilt measures about 44 x 44 inches, I was able to make the backing out of a full yard and a half of this airplane fabric. I'm all for scrappy backings, but sometimes you just want something quick and simple.
I quilted in an X sort of pattern with each line 1/2 inch from the other. I've had this pattern in my head for a while, but I always came up with an excuse not to use it. This time, I just decided to take the plunge with and, in hind sight I guess, I could pretend that I went with an X to coordinate with the shape of the whirlygigs. No one really needs to know that this was just a coincidence.
For the binding, I decided not to hand sew this time. I found this neat technique by Stitched In Color. She zigzags all of her quilt bindings. I thought that for this fun boy quilt the technique would be perfect. The only thing I changed was that I sewed the binding to the back first and then folded the binding around to the front. This saved me a lot of time because I was able to control the look on the front of the quilt. I'm sure that there are many quilters out there much more familiar with machine binding who could do a bang up job the way she did it, but I'm not one of them . . . yet.