Friday, January 25, 2013

oversized chocolate-dipped cookies

 

Trent and I made these cookies today. We used this recipe for the cookies, but we used a large scooper and baked them for about 15 minutes.  When they cooled, we dipped the cookies in melted chocolated and sprinkled them with crushed oreos, chopped reeses pieces, and red jimmies.  A super fun alternative to the traditional birthday cake.

I usually don't post about food, but today is an exceptional day.  Today is the hub's 36th birthday.  This is his first birthday celebration since we lost Timmy.  I went through my first last November.  Leading up to my birthday, I felt like my brain was at odds with my heart.  My heart didn't want to feel happy . . . happiness just didn't seem right.  But my brain told me not to be the martyr.  Outwardly, I accepted birthday wishes from my family, but inwardly, all I wanted to do was crawl back into bed where I could dream about us all being together.

I didn't tell anyone that it was my birthday.  I had moved to a new department at work several months prior and no one would have known.  I had a support group meeting that evening and I chose not to share my secret there either.  So my birthday came and went with a comfortably quiet celebration with my husband and kids.

I have noticed subtle changes in myself over the last few months.  I now understand the true meaning of a birthday.  To celebrate a birthday is to be thankful for the chance at life.  I am thankful that my husband got the chance at life.  He is strong and supportive with a helpful heart.  He is an awesome father.  We share a love of movies, baseball, and long walks.  Today I celebrate his presence in my life and in this world.  Happy birthday, Tim.

Celebrate life with your loved ones and be sure they understand just how thankful you are to have them here with you.


1 comment:

  1. How inspiring! I love you guys! Mom

    ReplyDelete