Wednesday, April 28, 2010

a charlie bag


So for my first project in over a week, I chose to make something for myself.  I have had a purse for me on my list for a while, but I could never decide on a style (nor could I find some selfish time).  When I saw this bag, I just had to have one.  It's definitely much larger than I originally had in mind, but I am also in desparate need of a stylish tote to carry my stuff (which usually isn't much) and lug around stuff for the boys (which trumps my stuff tenfold).

And guess what I used to make this bag . . . two of my old maternity skirts!  They weren't getting any use in the box, and they were both just so cute.  I thought this would be a fun reminder of pregnancies past. 

I figured that the skirts would be plenty big enough, but I just couldn't get a good cut.  I ended up a little short on both the lining and outer fabrics.  To remedy, I just added some plain fabric.  I like the look.  It adds character.

And look--it's reversible!  I originally meant for the white and green fabric to be the lining but I liked it so much that I've decided to make it "the usual look."


This Charlie Bag pattern is available for free on the Burda website.  I used this tutorial for the lining, and boy was it confusing.  But after about 45 minutes, I figured it out and it turned out better than I expected.


Now I can spend the rest of the week creating things to go inside . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment