Thursday, March 31, 2011

a new {preschool} lunch bag

I made this other really cool lunch bag back in August for Logan to take with him to preschool.  He helped me pick out the fabric and has been enamored with it for 7 months.

But the minor problem with this other bag just became a huge issue.  I only had 6 inch zippers on hand when I made the old bag, so the opening is a little small.  And since Lunchables have found their way to the preschool menu, that small zipper opening causes a really tight squeeze (so much so that he has to ask for help unloading the bag).  So I decided it was time for a new one.

And when I showed Logan this baby, he finally agreed with me.

I really like how cute this bag looks.  I didn't like it at first.  The top flap is a little narrower than it should be and the bag was originally a little taller.  The bottom dimensions were supposed to be 6 x 4 inches but ended up at 5 x 5 . . . close but not quite right. 

I tried to compensate for the two layers of low loft batting that I added to the inside for extra weight by making the lining a little smaller than the original outside dimension.  But I overcompensated and ended up with extra fabric on the outer layer that I had to try and ease in.  I'm still working on my ratio of lining to outer dimensions.

Despite all these problems, it really did turn out pretty cute for a little boy's lunch bag.  And it does fit Lunchable boxes, so at least it meets the demand.  Logan says it's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment