Saturday, January 30, 2010

t-shirt transformation #1

I stopped at the library on my way home from work the other day.  I had zero time to browse (I wasn't really supposed to stop), so I picked up one of the first books that saw in the sewing section that was clothing related.  I was hoping to stumble upon a jewel about sewing bags but no such luck.  Instead I grabbed Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-shirt by Megan Nicolay (this book was published in 2006 but I see now that she has a new one with 120 more ways!)

Now, I have been thinking about how best to use my old tees--you know, the kind that you only wear to bed because they are in no way flattering at any other time but you can't give them away because they either mean too much or no one would want them because your name and high school softball team schedule are plastered on the back?  Well I have plenty of those and so does my husband--but it will be a cold day in you know where before he lets me transform anything of his into anything else . . . he is kind of a pack rat.

I have pondered making pillows or even baby tees for my little guys with my old shirts, but when I found this book it hit me.  Why not transform my tees into something I will actually wear?  I rarely clothes shop for myself so this would be a good way to update my wardrobe without spending any money.

So here is my first go.  Although the hub did admit that he likes the transformation, he also cracked a joke about how I spent the time transforming a work shirt (they give out free stuff sometimes and it's not in my nature to pass up free stuff).  But if the transformation went terribly wrong, I didn't want to shed tears over my favorite Shawn Michaels tee now hacked to shreds.

This is how the shirt fit before the transformation: frumpy in all the wrong places (it's a mens large) . . . I really have to enroll my 3-year-old in a photography class.


I cut up the sides, swooped the neck, and cut off the sleeves.  I even trimmed off the hem at the bottom.  Then I narrowed the sleeves (and could probably even have shortened them more) and sewed them back on.  I've never sewed jersey knit before, but I LOVE it!  Because of the stretch, the material is very forgiving.  The sleeves were just a tad too big for the holes, but I was able to make it work by stretching the sleeve openings as I pinned.

I added these snazy drawstring casings for an extra detail.  I'm extremely happy with the look.  I also like that they don't go all the way to the pit, but I would probably only go as high as the belly next time because I don't really like how the shirt bunches up around the torso.

   
See?  Much more attractive.  This is definitely something I would wear in public now.  I can't wait to do another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment