Saturday, December 12, 2009

back to sewing

Over the years, I have jumped from craft medium to medium trying to find one that I can enjoy for the rest of my life. But it's time that I face the truth: I love learning new skills and find it boring doing the same types of things over and over again. I'm not sure that I could ever sell my crafts because all of them would be one-of-a-kind.

It is mind-numbing for me to reproduce something that I have already created which is probably why I can't stick with a craft for too long...I run out of originality.

Thankfully, however, I have come nowhere near exhausting all of the currently available mediums so I still have decades before I completely run out of ideas.

Most recently, I have begun sewing. My husband bought me my first sewing machine just after we moved in together (before we were married). I admit that I haven't done much with it over the last 7 years letting it collect the dust from my whirlwind life. But now that I have two kids, an enjoyable job, and a husband that spends his free time playing all types of sports, I have plenty of time to spend sewing. In the last year, I have created more projects with that machine than I had in the previous 7 years and I love it!

 I love crafting but there is really no better feeling for me than to create something that is actually useful: curtains, pillow cases, storage solutions, clothing, stuffed animals. I love the idea of creating something that stylishly fulfills a need and makes life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment