Saturday, December 12, 2009

pajama pants


My first real adventure back into sewing was in October when I created some pajama pants for Logan who is 3. Although the pattern said "Easy" it took me a lot longer than I thought it would. I let Logan stay up until I was finished, and at 11pm he was finally able to try them on. He is the absolute best to make things for! He smiled whole-heartedly and told me that they were "perfect!" He thanked me with a hug and a kiss and went off to bed proud that his mom had made jammie pants for him.

This was really my first adventure with patterns. I used McCall's #4283. I chose this pattern because it had the most number of variations for the price (I pride myself on the best-bang-for-your-buck mentality). The smallest size that the pattern had ended up too big for Logan, but I made it work. I shortened the elastic in the waistband and folded the legs up several times before hemming.

If I wouldn't have been so tired after working on them for 6 hours, I would have cut off some of the extra fabric in the legs so the ends wouldn't be bulky, but he doesn't care. I also need to stabilize the waistband because the elastic keeps twisting, but again, he doesn't know the difference. I think they turned out pretty good for my first venture, but I will have to improve my speed or I will never want to make pants again.

1 comment: